- Last Updated on Thursday, 05 November 2015 11:54
In 2005 the Ministry for the Environment, in collaboration with the Biosafety Unit, of the International Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), established the Italian node of the BCH in order to:
- Adapt to the international framework created by the Cartagena Protocol to the CBD;
- Follow the instructions of the Aarhus Convention and the amendment of Almaty;
- Meet the requirements of the European Union on biosafety;
- Comply with the Italian law on public information and consultation on biosafety.
The Italian BCH consists of the following sections:
Section 1: The Cartagena Protocol and its implementation process;
Section 2: Biosafety with general outlines on risk assessment and risk management;
Section 3: Current Legislation at community and national level;
Section 4: Public Information, containing all the information on notifications required to ensure adequate participation of the public in relation to the experimental release of GMOs;
Section 5: Public Consultation, dedicated to the stakeholders to participate in the public consultation on the deliberate release into the environment of GMOs;
Section 6: Capacity-Building, for the development and strengthening of human resources and of institutional capacities in biosafety;
Section 7: Publications;
Section 8: Glossary.